Easy, rich homemade sausage gravy is whipped up in no time and then topped with fluffy, buttery buttermilk drop biscuits. This makes excellent leftovers and is a recipe the whole family will enjoy.
One-skillet biscuits and gravy recipe
For the gravy
- 8 ounces pork sausage, removed from casings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
For the biscuits
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the sausage and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- In the same skillet add the flour and begin to whisk it into the remaining fat left over from the sausage. Add the milk and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; then reduce to a light simmer. Cook the gravy until it’s very thick
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients for the biscuits, mixing well.
- Using a large spoon, begin to drop the biscuits on top of the sausage gravy, covering the entire surface.
- Place the cast-iron pan in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the biscuits are a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.