Finger-lickin' good gluten-free crispy fried chicken
Crispy skin is a must when it comes to fried chicken, and this is the perfect gluten-free version, using finger-lickin' good chicken wings.
Fried chicken... It doesn't get more comfort food than that, does it? The trick to getting nice, crispy fried chicken skin is a flour coating, but we don't want our gluten-free friends thinking they have to miss out.
This gluten-free version uses a gluten-free baking flour mix and still gets perfectly crispy results. Don't skip out on the lemon dip — it's the perfect lemony tang to go with the spicy wings.
Gluten-free crispy fried chicken with lemon-yogurt dip recipe
- 3 pounds chicken wings (any other cut of chicken will work too)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2/3 cup gluten-free baking flour
- Oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 dill pickle, chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the spices, and mix them together.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Place it in a large bowl. Toss with the spices, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator, and toss with the flour until well coated.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat enough frying oil so that it comes up the sides about 2 to 3 inches.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken in batches. Do not overcrowd the pot. Fry for about 5 to 7 minutes per side, until golden and crispy.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined rack to drain.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, parsley and chopped pickle (optional, but the pickle gives the sauce a nice dill tang), and serve with the hot chicken.