Sometimes we see healthy food as boring, something we need to eat just because. But a breakfast bowl of quinoa tossed with ham and peas and topped with a poached egg is anything but boring.
I love savory breakfasts, but I don’t get to have them every day. Usually I am in a hurry in the morning, so I fix myself something quick, like toast with butter and jam or a simple croissant. But there are times when I have the luxury of free mornings, and that’s when savory breakfasts come in. I usually use leftover rice for breakfast bowls, but quinoa is a much healthier alternative. Plus it gives the dish a nutty edge that rice cannot provide.
It’s a breakfast of champions in the real sense, because quinoa is considered one of the superfoods. This breakfast bowl is very healthy, tasty and delicious. Start your day right.
Quinoa breakfast bowl recipe
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1/8 cup preserved grilled peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked ham, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- Put the quinoa into a sieve, and rinse it under the faucet. Drain.
- In a small pot over medium heat, boil the quinoa in the water. Once the water is boiling, simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl, and let it cool.
- In another small pot over medium heat, boil some water to poach the eggs.
- While waiting for the water to boil, cook the quinoa with the other ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add some olive oil, and sauté the peas for 5 minutes.
- Add the grilled peppers, ham and quinoa, and toss for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When the water for the eggs starts to boil, poach the eggs.
- Serve the quinoa in 2 bowls, and top each with a poached egg.