Enjoy summer grilling while you can, with as many types of meals as you can. This grilled salad recipe is one more option for a great meal.
Fire up the grill for this lovely dinner salad. You read that right: This recipe for grilled romaine and sweet potato salad with creamy cilantro dressing calls for you to toss your greens onto the grill along with a few other ingredients.
Grilling the romaine will add a bit of smokiness to this warm salad. While you’re at it, the grill is a great spot to turn bread into crunchy croutons. And let’s not forget the sweet potatoes. Imagine the flavors that come through from grilling them for a short time — sweet and smoky goodness. Top it all with a creamy cilantro dressing for a fab salad that is as unique as it is delicious.
Grilled romaine and sweet potato salad with creamy cilantro dressing recipe
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced and mashed into a paste
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, split down the center, washed and dried
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 slices rustic bread
- 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
For the dressing
- Into a bowl, add all the ingredients, and whisk to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Whisk before using.
For the salad
- In a small bowl, place the olive oil. Preheat your grill to medium-low.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes (skins on), and then pierce them all around with a fork. Place them into a shallow baking dish, and microwave them for 4 to 5 minutes. Rotate the potatoes, and microwave for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- When the potatoes have cooled to the touch, cut them into wedges. Lightly brush all sides of the wedges with the olive oil.
- Lightly brush the romaine (both sides) with the olive oil, and then the slices of bread.
- When the grill is hot, add the potatoes. Grill them on all sides, for a total of about 5 minutes.
- As the potatoes are cooking, add the slices of bread to the corner of the grill. Turn once, taking care not to burn them. You want them just lightly grilled.
- Remove the potatoes and bread from the grill, and add the romaine. Grill on both sides, flipping once, for a total of about 4 minutes. You want the lettuce to be lightly charred and slightly wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Cut the potato wedges into cubes, and then do the same for the slices of bread to use them as croutons.
- Place 1 romaine half onto each plate. Evenly divide the sweet potatoes and croutons among them. Drizzle the dressing over each, and serve warm.
- If you prefer, chop the romaine after grilling it, and add it to a bowl along with the sweet potato cubes. Gently toss, divide among plates, top with the croutons, and drizzle the dressing over the tops.
Toss your salad on the grill.