Just in case you don’t feel like getting into the car and driving to the nearest 7-Eleven, we’ve got a copycat version of Doritos’ latest culinary delight, Doritos Loaded cheesy snack bites. For those of you who always wished Doritos and mozzarella sticks would get together and have a baby, the time is now.
Ever since Taco Bell released a hard-shell taco made out of Doritos, we’ve been gobbling up orange-tinted snack foods with fervor. Today, Doritos lovers, rejoice, as 7-Eleven has provided us with another option: Doritos Loaded — cheesy snack bites covered in crushed-up chips and deep-fried to perfection.
This over-the-top snack doesn’t take long to make at home, and the flavor is unreal. The cheese is gooey and practically melts in your mouth, but the real star is the flavor and crunch the cheesy Doritos bring. And next time, think about trying Cool Ranch Doritos.
Homemade Doritos Loaded mozzarella cheese bites recipe
- 2 (2 ounce) bags Doritos chips
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese (from a block)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Ranch dressing to dip (optional)
- Fill up your deep fryer with vegetable oil. Preheat to 325 degrees F.
- Remove the chips from the bag, and crush them with your hands into very small pieces.
- Remove the cheese from the package, and cut into thick pieces.
- Beat the egg with a fork, and add in the water, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Dip the cheese into the egg mixture to coat.
- Then dip the cheese into the crushed-up Doritos. Press the Doritos into the cheese bite.
- Deep-fry the bites for 30 seconds. Remove the bites, and place them onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- Allow the cheese bites to harden and the oil to drip off and onto the paper towel for about 30 seconds, and then enjoy right away.
Tip: The instructions for this recipe require a deep fryer, but don’t avoid this recipe if you don’t have one. A pot of oil on the stovetop can be used instead. Just be careful and make sure to monitor the oil temperature so it doesn’t heat above 325 degrees F.