Sweet organic beets, tangy citrus flavors and cooked quinoa are piled high on fresh greens in this super-healthy, all-natural vegan salad.
Beets are not only super nutritious but super delicious. Oftentimes we overlook beets while shopping in the produce department simply because they can be a bit intimidating or because people aren’t familiar with how to prepare them. Although I roasted the beets in this recipe, they can be used raw in everything from smoothies to fresh pressed juices to salads, or they can be roasted to bring out their supersweet and earthy flavor.
Tip: If using the red variety, I would recommend wearing disposable gloves when handling them, especially when roasting, because of the very vibrant juice they produce. The can and will stain your hands and clothing.
Summer citrus beet salad with quinoa recipe
For the salad
- 4 organic, medium-size beets, washed (any variety or color)
- 2 tablespoons walnut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 cups fresh, organic greens
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese
For the citrus dressing
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Champagne or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the beets into wedges or other desired shape, and place them into a small baking dish. Drizzle the walnut oil over the tops, and toss to evenly coat.
- Roast the beets in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes or until they have softened.
- Remove the beets from the oven, and allow them to cool.
- Into a blender, add all the ingredients for the dressing. Blend on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Into a large bowl, add the roasted beets, fresh greens, cooked quinoa, raisins and walnuts.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss well. Divide among 4 salad plates, and garnish with fresh, crumbled feta cheese. Serve immediately.