Sometimes it’s the sauce that steals the show. You’ll love this chimichurri sauce not only for its bright color but for its fab flavor too.
It’s easy to grill up this vegan dish that includes a blast of flavor. This recipe for vegan grilled tofu with chimichurri sauce offers diners a rich, green sauce made up of fresh herbs like parsley and rosemary as well as garlic. Traditionally a topping for grilled meat, chimichurri is perfect with tofu too.
I used a panini press set with the grill inserts (instead of the flat griddle inserts) to grill the tofu. If you have a grill pan to use on the stovetop, then this works too. You could also grill the tofu on an outdoor grill, but I found the press to be an easier option.
The best part of this dish is definitely the chimichurri sauce. It’s vibrant in color and flavor, and once you take a taste, you’ll want more. I love to serve it over tofu as the crowning touch for a savory side dish or appetizer.
Grilled tofu with chimichurri sauce recipe
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley, stems mostly removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 2 (7 ounce) packages baked tofu
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Add all the ingredients except for the tofu to a food processor. Pulse several times so the mixture is somewhat chunky. You don’t want this completely smooth.
- Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- Slice the tofu into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
- Spray a grill pan with the nonstick cooking spray, and place it on medium-high heat.
- When the grill pan is hot, add the tofu slices. Grill the tofu for just a few minutes or until you get nice grill marks. Carefully turn the tofu over, and grill for another few minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the grill pan, and serve with the chimichurri sauce drizzled over the top. Serve extra sauce on the side.
Savor this chimichurri sauce.