Fresh farmers market farro salad
Cooked farro is tossed with fresh citrus, strawberries, avocados, seeds and cheese in this super-refreshing summer salad.
Farro is a delicious grain that's often overlooked. This ancient grain, which is harvested from wheat, offers a slightly sweet, nutty flavor and holds up perfectly in this dish. I added fresh fruits, tangy feta and crunchy seeds to add textures and a variety of flavors to this healthy lunch-friendly salad. It packs well and can be made ahead of time, making it perfect for barbecues and picnics too.
Farmers market farro salad recipe
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 large navel oranges, segmented
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup snap peas, chopped
- 1/2 cup favorite salad dressing (balsamic, lemon or Italian would work well)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- In a large bowl, combine the farro, arugula, oranges, strawberries, red onions, snap peas and cucumbers. Drizzle in your favorite salad dressing, and toss the salad well to evenly coat with the dressing.
- Pour the salad into a large serving dish, and top with the crumbled feta, raisins, pumpkin seeds and diced avocado.
- Serve immediately, or keep chilled until ready to serve.
Tip: If you make this salad ahead of time, then follow the directions as listed, but leave out the avocado. The avocado tends to turn brown and doesn't look very appetizing. Plan on adding it just before serving.