One-dish chickpea beef skillet supper
This simple skillet supper is fast and easy to make and has lots of colorful, chunky pieces that make it a fun finger food for beginner eaters.
In the time it takes to cook rice in the rice pot, you can get this whole chickpea, beef and vegetable skillet supper prepared and cooked. It's packed with whole grains, protein and colorful vegetables for a complete meal.
While this is a wonderful dinner for the whole family, the chunky texture makes it perfect for toddlers to eat with their fingers or even to try with a fork.
Chickpea, beef and vegetable skillet supper recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, brown the beef. Remove from the pan, and set it aside.
- To the same pan, add the chopped bell pepper and zucchini, and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring, until they just start to brown at the edges.
- Add the chickpeas in their liquid and the tomatoes in their liquid.
- Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, lime juice, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Return the beef to the skillet, and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice.