Sunday dinner: Grilled maple-chipotle chicken kebabs
It's the sauce that makes grilled chicken special, right? This recipe, with its sweet-and-spicy combo, is no exception.
Get a few napkins handy, because it's about to get saucy. This Sunday dinner recipe for grilled maple-chipotle chicken kebabs has a little sweet and a little more spicy going on.
Keep the ingredients for this recipe handy to use for grilled chicken all summer long. When I grill kebabs, I like to cook the chicken and the veggies on separate skewers since the veggies cook faster than the chicken does.
You’ll love the barbecue sauce that covers the chicken, which is super simple to make. If you prefer less heat, then cut back on the adobo sauce. Now grab a napkin, and get ready to enjoy your meal.
Grilled maple-chipotle chicken kebabs recipe
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus about 1 tablespoon sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 3 x 3-inch cubes
- Optional: 2 bell peppers, seeds and membrane removed, cut into 3 x 3-inch squares
- Optional: 2 small zucchini, ends removed, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
- Olive oil to brush over the vegetables
- Salt and ground black pepper to season the vegetables
- To make the sauce, place the first 8 ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Lightly oil your grill grate. Set the grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken cubes to skewers, leaving the slightest amount of space between each cube.
- If you are grilling the vegetables, then place them on skewers separate from the chicken, brush them with olive oil, and season them with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken skewers and the vegetable skewers to the grill. Cook the vegetables, turning them often, for about 8 minutes total. Remove them from the heat, and cover them with foil to keep them warm.
- Cook the chicken for about 12 to 15 minutes total, turning twice while it cooks. Toward the end of the cooking time, brush the sauce over the chicken, coating it all over.
- Allow the chicken to cook for a few minutes. Flip the skewers, brush them with more sauce, and cook for a few more minutes. Do this 1 to 2 more times.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the heat.
- Remove the chicken and the vegetables from their skewers, place them on a platter, and serve them warm.
Serve your chicken, sauced.