Guilt-free 150-calorie vegan snacks
I tried on my new bikini last night, and what ensued was a slew of curse words, a bottle of wine and a lot of tears. To keep this from happening every time I want to put on a bathing suit this summer, I'm kicking my usual high-fat snacks for these 150-calorie-or-less vegan ones instead.
Not only are these low in fat and calories, but they are completely dairy and meat free too. Whether you have a sweet tooth or are craving something salty, there's a low-calorie snack here you'll absolutely adore this summer. Oh, and the best part? You won't have to cry when you put on your bathing suit!
1. Banana-blueberry muffin recipe
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar. Stir in the applesauce, almond milk, banana and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined.
- Carefully stir in the blueberries. Scoop the batter into the liners, filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for about 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Spicy BBQ roasted chickpeas recipe
Adapted from Food & Wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and dried
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash salt
- Whisk together the spices.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the chickpeas with sesame oil, and spread them out in a greased 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle the chickpeas with the spice mix, liberally covering each chickpea.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately, or save in an airtight bag or jar.
3. Zucchini Parmesan crispy bites recipe
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-1/2 tablespoons crushed potato chips
- 2-1/2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a shallow bowl, mix together the crushed potato chips, vegan Parmesan, basil, salt and pepper.
- In a large baking dish, evenly spread out the zucchini slices. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Liberally sprinkle the tops of the zucchini slices with the crushed chip-Parmesan mixture.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until crispy.
4. No-bake peanut butter chocolate chip balls recipe
- 2/3 cup almond flour or meal
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 3/4 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, almond milk, oil, peanut butter, vanilla extract and brown sugar. Carefully mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Roll the mixture into 12 medium-size balls. Place the balls on a lightly greased cutting board, and freeze them for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Once frozen, you can serve them right away or save them for later.