An easy-to-make chicken dish doesn’t mean it will be boring. The Mediterranean-inspired ingredients in this recipe will make chicken breasts come alive with flavor.
The flavors of the Mediterranean are fresh and colorful. This Sunday dinner recipe for Mediterranean-stuffed chicken breasts makes a lovely presentation for a family gathering or special meal. Since these are easy to make, anytime is a good time to serve them.
I used spinach, onion, garlic, roasted red peppers, olives and feta cheese as the stuffing for this dish. You could also use sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts for a different take. Your family will enjoy the flavors of this Mediterranean-inspired dish.
Mediterranean stuffed chicken breasts recipe
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup diced Greek or Italian olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers (packed in oil)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Add aluminum foil to the bottom of a baking dish, and spray it with the nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Use a sharp knife to make a horizontal slit through the thickest part of the chicken breasts, almost from end to end but not all the way through. Set aside.
- To a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the spinach to the mixture, along with the salt, pepper, lemon juice, olives and roasted red peppers. Toss to combine.
- Add the mixture to a bowl, and mix in about 4 ounces of the feta cheese.
- Use a spoon to stuff the mixture into the chicken breasts. Some of the filling may overflow, which is OK.
- If you like, use toothpicks to help hold the chicken together. Carefully place the stuffed chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish. The baking dish should be big enough to hold the chicken breasts without them touching one another.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is done. The USDA notes that a minimum safe internal temperature for chicken is 165 degrees F, as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. In a small bowl, mix together the seasoned breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Lightly pat the breadcrumb mixture onto the tops of the chicken breasts. Remove the toothpicks, and place the chicken back in the oven on broil for just a minute or so, until the breadcrumbs turn golden.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle the tops with the remaining feta cheese, and serve warm.
Liven up your next chicken meal.
More Sunday dinner recipes
Grilled chipotle-orange chicken salad
Red Thai curry pulled pork tacos with slaw
Pasta with beef ragu
Leave a Comment