Ooey, gooey, gluten-free rocky road brownies
Rocky road is a favorite summer flavor that usually comes in the form of ice cream. Why not turn that favorite flavor into brownies this year?
Rocky road ice cream has always been a favorite flavor of mine, and it definitely reminds me of summertime. For this recipe for gluten-free rocky road brownies, I turned things a little inside out. I didn't skip out on the ice cream but rather served these delightfully rich brownies over plain vanilla ice cream.
These brownies have everything that is right with rocky road: chocolate, marshmallows and toasted almonds. With all these combined, you'll dig into a rich dessert with a touch of crunch. You could serve these brownies without ice cream, but why would you?
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free rocky road brownie recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, rough chopped
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add the melted butter, milk and vanilla extract, and beat together until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients a little at a time. Mix to combine.
- When the batter is combined and smooth, fold in 1/2 cup of the marshmallows and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centers of the brownies comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven, and remove the brownies. Evenly sprinkle the remaining marshmallows, chocolate chips and almonds over the tops.
- While the oven is still warm, return the brownies to it for just a few minutes, until the chocolate chips are slightly melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and let the brownies cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Hit the rocky road for dessert.