Vegan peanut butter brown rice crispy treats
Finally, rice crispy treats anyone can enjoy. This version is not only gluten-free but also completely vegan friendly.
While you might assume traditional Rice Krispies treats are a vegan-friendly snack, surprise! They're not. Marshmallows contain gelatin, which is derived from animal by-products and definitely not a plant-based food. I omitted the regular marshmallows in this recipe and substituted them with Dandies vegan marshmallows. If you have trouble finding them, they are sold at most health food stores and a variety of online stores. And if you're curious about the flavor, I assure you they taste exactly the same as regular marshmallows.
Vegan peanut butter brown rice crispy treats recipe
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread or other dairy-free butter
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 1 (10 ounce) package vegan marshmallows, such as Dandies
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6-1/2 cups brown crispy rice cereal
- Spray a medium to large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the dairy-free butter, and stir until melted.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the marshmallows, peanut butter and salt. Continue to stir until the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and add in the crispy rice cereal, mixing very well until all the cereal is nicely coated.
- Pour the cereal into the baking dish, and press down firmly. Allow to cool 1 hour, and then cut into desired-size squares.
- You can keep leftovers in an airtight container for several days.