Not a big fan of making traditional lemon curd? This simple high-powered blender recipe requires no dirtying of pots or use of a thermometer.
If there is one thing I love, it’s lemons. Growing up, I would eat them raw with just a sprinkling of salt. Yeah, I was an odd child. Now that I’m grown up, I still love raw lemon, but I prefer it much more in curd form. Normally when you make lemon curd, you have to cook it on the stove top, temper the eggs and gauge the temperature. It can be a bit of work.
With this simple blender recipe, you don’t have to do any of these steps. However, you do need a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix or Blendtec. The motors on these machines are strong enough to heat the eggs so they cook while being blended. I know this sounds impossible, but it totally works. Plus, after you make your lemon curd, you can put it on just about anything — toast, biscuits, scones and even ice cream.
Blender lemon curd recipe
Yields 2 cups
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 8 chunks
- In a high-speed blender (Vitamix or Blendtec), add the lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and eggs.
- Secure the lid, and blend for 5 minutes on the highest speed.
- After 5 minutes, lower the speed to medium-low, and add the butter.
- Blend for another minute, and remove the lid.
- Be careful, as steam will rise out of the blender and could burn your skin.
- Add the curd to a glass jar, and let it cool to room temperature. At this point the curd should be thick, but let it sit overnight in the refrigerator to allow it to completely set.