Congrats, grad! You deserve a cupcake
Mortarboard cupcakes (you know, the cap part of cap and gown) are the perfect way to celebrate with your recent graduate. After years of classes, they deserve a special cupcake.
These cupcakes are simple to make and perfect for a graduation party or a sweet way to congratulate your graduate.
Just start with a simple cupcake. You can use your own cupcake recipe or use a cake box mix. I used a yellow cake mix to make these cupcakes. After they are done baking, let them cool completely before frosting them.
Once the cupcakes are cooled, fill a frosting bag with cream cheese or vanilla frosting. I used frosting from the tub to make these cupcakes as simple as possible.
Fit your frosting bag with a star tip to achieve the swirled frosting design. Once the cupcakes are frosted, decorate them with sprinkles. I used rainbow-colored sprinkles, but a fun idea would be to use sprinkles that are the same colors as the graduate's school colors.
Next, get a lollipop stick or a skewer. I used a skewer that I cut into thirds.
Unwrap a Reese's candy, and place the top of the candy onto the skewer. Then fasten a chocolate square to the top of the Reese's candy using frosting to secure the 2 chocolates together.
Place the skewered candies into the center of the cupcake.
Next, you will need some kind of string candy for the "tassel." I used an Airheads Xtremes candy rope that I sliced into thin pieces. I attached the "tassel" with a little bit of frosting.
And finally, using frosting, attach an M&M's candy to the top of the tassel for the button. A nice touch is to match the tassel and button colors, but again, school colors would be a fun idea to decorate these.
There you have it — a perfectly adorable and simple graduation cap cupcake. Enjoy!
Graduation cupcakes recipe
- 1 yellow cake mix plus the ingredients called for
- 1 (16 ounce) container vanilla or cream cheese frosting
- Colored sprinkles of choice
- 24 lollipop or skewer sticks
- 24 Reese's candies
- 24 chocolate square candies (I used Ghirardelli)
- 24 M&M's candies
- 1 package Airheads Xtremes sweetly sour belts
- Follow the package directions to make the cupcakes. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, fill up the liners, and bake.
- Allow the cupcakes to completely cool before frosting them.
- Fit a frosting bag with a star tip, and fill it with the vanilla or cream cheese frosting.
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles of your choice.
- Fit an unwrapped Reese's candy onto a lollipop stick. Using frosting, attach an unwrapped chocolate square candy to the Reese's candy.
- Place the lollipop stick with the attached chocolate candies into the center of the cupcake.
- Slice the Airhead Xtremes candies into small strips, and attach them to the top of the chocolate square with frosting.
- Using frosting, attach an M&M's candy on top of the candy strip.