Lately we’ve been seeing chefs introducing herbs, salts and other savory elements into desserts. Here we showcase some great recipes from food bloggers across the internet.
We’re not talking about just adding bacon to your chocolate chip cookies (although we included those as well), if that’s what you’re thinking when you hear the words “savory in desserts.” It’s the addition of fresh herbs in ganache, the sprinkling of freshly ground coriander in an orange blossom cake and the slight drizzle of balsamic syrup over ripe, sweet berries. Another great component to add to desserts is vegetables, like in a beet chocolate cake.
These are some great savory components that work exceptionally well in sweet recipes:
- Sea salts
- Fresh herbs, like basil, cilantro, thyme and rosemary
- Ground spices, like coriander, wasabi powder and chili peppers
- Vegetables, whether fresh or dehydrated
- Bacon, whether it’s caramelized or baked with brown sugar
1. Spicy dark chocolate bark with toasted pumpkin seeds and sea salt recipe
This dark chocolate bark is packed with pumpkin seeds and sea salt — a delicious addition to your classic bark recipe.
2. Sweet and salty chocolate cake recipe
This sweet and salty chocolate cake would make the perfect adult birthday cake, as the salt balances the sweet chocolate.
3. Salted caramel mocha Bundt cake recipe
This salted caramel mocha Bundt cake is the perfect cake to serve to dinner guests. The flavors of chocolate, coffee and a hint of salt make it sophisticated yet approachable.
4. Basil mint ice cream recipe
Can you say summer ice cream flavor of the year? This basil mint ice cream would be great when all your herbs are at their peak and you need to make something other than pesto.
5. Lemon thyme shortbread cookie recipe
Such a classic combination, these lemon thyme shortbread cookies are the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon tea or coffee.
6. Blueberry basil rum sorbet recipe
Sorbet is ice cream’s cousin, and this blueberry basil rum sorbet is the combination of summer’s best flavors. Plus, we think a splash of rum never hurt anyone.
7. Strawberry basil gelato recipe
Such a traditional but delicious combination of fresh ripe strawberries and fragrant basil leaves, this strawberry basil gelato is best served on hot summer days.
8. Flourless chocolate cayenne cake recipe
Add a hint of heat to your baked goods, like in this flourless chocolate cayenne cake. The cayenne surely adds that kick of flavor, which will be especially appreciated if you’re a heat seeker.
9. Coconut basil ginger flourless chocolate cake recipe
We’re loving the combination of ginger and basil in this coconut basil ginger flourless chocolate cake.
10. Sriracha sauce fudge ice pops recipe
Sriracha sauce fudge ice pops might just become our favorite ice pop of the summer, because who doesn’t adore Sriracha sauce?
11. Coffee and cardamom truffles recipe
For spice lovers, these coffee and cardamom truffles are the perfect bite after a big dinner. Cardamom warms the body as coffee puts a little pep in your step.
12. Beet rugelach recipe
Not only do beets add a gorgeous color to this beet rugelach, but the earthy flavor pairs so well with the rest of the ingredients. What’s not to like?
13. Double chocolate avocado cookie recipe
We love avocados in baked goods because they make everything moist. These double chocolate avocado cookies will become a family favorite.
14. Bergamot, orange and thyme semolina olive oil cake recipe
The addition of thyme to this bergamot, orange and thyme semolina olive oil cake is an herbal trend we can get behind of. Plus, the semolina base adds a sweet and crumbly texture to this gorgeous cake.
15. Chocolate bacon bomb pie recipe
Doesn’t this chocolate bacon bomb pie look like a dream? Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
16. Chocolate bacon pull-apart bread recipe
This chocolate bacon pull-apart bread would be great for a Sunday family brunch, because it combines both chocolate and bacon — two things that make mornings much better.
17. Bacon chocolate chip cookie recipe
These bacon chocolate chip cookies make the perfect mid-afternoon snack when you need a little boost. Try dipping them in your coffee for added energy.
18. Candied cherry and bacon chocolate chip ice cream recipe
Cool down this summer with this candied cherry and bacon chocolate chip ice cream, sure to help you beat the heat.
19. Bacon caramel tart recipe
Bring this bacon caramel tart to your next get-together, and you’re sure to impress.
20. Chocolatey bacon cake recipe
Nothing says I love you like a slice of this chocolatey bacon cake.