Firecracker cake is full of red, white and blue and is a sweet way to celebrate the 4th of July.
This cake starts out with a white cake mix and the ingredients called for on the box. To get a very bright white cake color, make sure to use the suggested egg whites instead of whole eggs.
Before even mixing the ingredients for the cake, make sure to grease and then flour your Bundt cake pan really well. This will ensure that the cake will come out of the pan without parts of it sticking to the pan.
Follow the package directions to make the cake batter, and then separate the batter equally among 3 bowls to ensure even coloring throughout the cake.
One portion will be left white, 1 will be dyed red, and the third bowl of cake batter will be dyed blue.
Pour the red-colored batter into the pan first to form the bottom layer of the cake. The white batter goes on top of the red, and then the blue gets poured on top of the white layer of batter. Make sure to not stir the colors together but just to pour the batters evenly on top of one other. If you stir the colors together, you won’t get even layers of color throughout the cake.
Bake the cake according to the package directions for a Bundt pan. Once it is cooked through, remove it from the oven, and allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Place a cake stand or plate on top of the cake, and then invert the cake pan. The cake should come out cleanly if you greased the pan well enough. Allow the cake to fully cool before frosting it.
Dye the frosting blue. Fit a frosting bag with a wide tip, fill the bag with the blue frosting, and then pipe the frosting over the cake. Decorate with red, white and blue sprinkles, if desired.
To add a little extra pizzazz, light some candles on the cake. Cut into slices, and enjoy.
Firecracker Bundt cake recipe
- 1 box white cake mix plus the ingredients called for on the box
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- 1 container (16 ounce) cream cheese frosting
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Candles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and then flour a Bundt pan. Make sure to thoroughly grease and flour the pan to avoid having a cake that can’t be removed cleanly.
- Prepare the cake according to the package directions. Separate the batter evenly among 3 bowls.
- Leave 1 bowl of batter plain. Dye the second bowl of batter red and the third bowl blue.
- Layer the Bundt cake pan with the red batter on the bottom, then the white and then the blue on top.
- Bake according to the directions indicated for a Bundt cake on the cake mix package.
- Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven, and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Place a plate or cake stand on top of the cake, and invert the pan to set the cake on the stand or plate.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Dye the frosting blue.
- Fit a frosting bag with a wide tip, and fill it with the frosting.
- Pipe alternating stripes onto the cake. Decorate with sprinkles, and if desired, garnish with lit candles.
- Serve immediately if lighting candles on the cake.
More cake recipes
Slow cooker cakes
How to make a heart-shaped cake
Birthday cake pancakes
Leave a Comment