Healthier chickpea chocolate chip cookies
Beans in desserts... It works! No one will ever detect the chickpeas in these chocolate chip cookies.
A few years ago I found myself about 20 pounds heavier than I wanted to be. Something clicked one day, and a complete overhaul of my eating began. I lasted about 10 days before I caved and absolutely "needed" a cookie. Looking around for healthier cookie alternatives, I stumbled upon the idea of adding beans into baked goods. After about 5 minutes of denial that a dessert recipe with beans could ever taste good, I figured, why not try? I've probably consumed about 100 bean cookies since and honestly don't even crave the "real" stuff anymore. I'm not saying a full-out butter, sugar, all-purpose flour cookie doesn't taste delicious (it does), but I guarantee these healthier chickpea chocolate chip cookies will surprise you and satisfy that sweet tooth.
Chickpea chocolate chip cookies recipe
- 1-1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a silicone baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Add the mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and mix together with a spatula until incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the batter in about 1 tablespoon size-portions onto the baking sheet, and press them down slightly with the back of a spoon. The batter won't spread too much while baking, so shape them how you desire before placing them in the oven.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges just start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and let them cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.