Tangy ceviche salad stuffed in a pineapple
One of my favorite countries to visit in this world is Mexico. For one, the culture is so incredibly interesting, with amazing festivals, beliefs and stories. But more important is the food. Rich, flavorful and full of wonderful spices and herbs... You'll never eat better than in Mexico. That's where this fresh fish and citrus salad came from — a delicious salad inspired by my time south of the border.
This salad, which is much like a ceviche, is made with fresh citrus like lemon and orange and is mixed in with my favorite summer produce, like pineapple, blueberries and crunchy red peppers. Oh, and you can't forget about the raw tuna and the shrimp, which make each bite like a mental vacation to Mexico.
Ceviche citrus salad stuffed in a pineapple recipe
For the salad
- 1 regular-size pineapple, cut in half with top removed
- 1 (4 ounce) ahi tuna filet
- About 1 cup chopped fresh shrimp
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- About 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red and orange peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-1/2 tablespoons honey
- About 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice into the pineapple halves to loosen the flesh from the skin. Then, using a spoon or fork, remove the flesh from the inside, and place it on a cutting board. You want as much flesh removed as possible. Set the 2 pineapple halves aside.
- Chop the pineapple insides into pieces, and measure out 2 cups. Save the remaining for later.
- In a large bowl, place the 2 cups of pineapple, lettuce, blueberries, avocado, red onion, tomatoes, peppers and cilantro. Stir in the shrimp.
- Slice the tuna into thin slices, and then chop it into bite-size pieces. Mix the tuna into the shrimp and vegetable mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, lemon juice, honey, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the salad. Cover with saran wrap, and chill the salad for about 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, scoop the salad into the 2 pineapple halves. Garnish each half with cilantro, and serve chilled.