This brunch will get your day off to a good start. It’s loaded with chorizo, potatoes and two types of cheese.
On the weekends I like to splurge on breakfast, whether it be the all-American classic of eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns or pancakes with bacon. A good breakfast can make or break your day, and I like to start it off right. Tacos are another favorite of mine for breakfast. You can never have too much Mexican food in a day. For this dish I decided to combine Mexican flavors with the classic French toast recipe. Voilà… Mexican stuffed French toast topped with Cotija cheese. After this meal, my day is definitely headed in the right direction.
Mexican-style stuffed French toast sandwich recipe
- 1 (20 ounce) bag diced Simply Potatoes
- 8 ounces chorizo
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons grated Cotija cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices wheat bread
- Cook the potatoes according to the package instructions, and then set them aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small sauté pan, add the chorizo, and cook it for 10 minutes on low-medium heat. Add the potatoes to the chorizo, and stir until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and Cotija cheese.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add the butter.
- Dip 2 slices of bread into the egg-and-milk mixture, and then place them into the buttered skillet.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, and then flip the bread. Top one slice with the potato-chorizo mixture and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Top with the other slice of bread.
- Cook until the cheese is melted, and then remove from heat. Top with extra Cotija cheese.
- Repeat until all 3 sandwiches are complete.