These five finger foods are great for picnics, quick lunches or meals on the go.
They’re kid approved and sure to be a hit with your little ones. The children can even get involved with making some of these finger foods.
Miniature biscuit pizza recipe
These pizzas are made from store-bought biscuits and ready in under 20 minutes (including oven time). The children can get involved with helping to make these by assembling the pizzas and picking their own toppings. These miniature pizzas are sure to be a new favorite.
- 1 (7.5 ounce) can buttermilk biscuits
- 10 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Optional toppings: pepperoni, sweet bell peppers, green peppers, olives, onions, mushrooms
- Optional garnish: fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the biscuits from the can, and mold them into a wide circle with your hands.
- Place on a baking sheet, and top with 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce.
- Shred the cheese, and place about 1-1/2 tablespoons of cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Add your desired pizza toppings. The image shows 2 slices of pepperoni and a chopped yellow sweet bell pepper.
- Bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until the biscuit is lightly browned at the edges and all the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Sandwich sushi recipe
This sushi is free of raw fish but does include tuna. It’s completely kid friendly and a fun way to get kids excited about trying different and exotic foods.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 1 (5 ounce) can tuna fish, drained
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Remove the crusts from the bread. Using a rolling pin, roll out the bread until it is flat.
- Layer the tuna fish on the top 1/3 of the bread.
- On the next 1/3 of the bread, spread about 2 tablespoons of shredded carrots.
- On the bottom 1/3 of the bread, spread about 1-1/2 tablespoons of mayonnaise or plain, spreadable cream cheese.
- Starting on the side with the mayonnaise, tightly roll up the bread. Once it is in a roll, slice the roll into thick coins.
- Serve immediately.
Chicken avocado sliders recipe
These chicken avocado sliders are made on miniature ciabatta rolls, making them easy to pick up and easy to be held by small hands. They are stuffed full of great flavors, and the added crunch of french fried onions makes these a kid-pleasing lunch.
- 4 miniature ciabatta rolls (or other type of rolls or buns)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (cooked and shredded) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup french fried onions
- Separate the tops of the ciabatta rolls from the bottoms, and spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each sandwich.
- Place a slice of cheddar cheese on top of the mayonnaise.
- Distribute the shredded chicken evenly among the 4 sandwiches.
- Top each sandwich with 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo, 1 tablespoon of guacamole and 2 tablespoons of french fried onions.
- Place the tops of the rolls over the now-loaded bottoms to create the fully assembled sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
Orange-glazed chicken wings recipe
This finger food is easy to prepare with ready-made chicken wings that just need to be grilled or cooked in the oven. The glaze comes together quickly while the chicken is cooking. This is a fun way to switch up regular chicken wings that your kids know and love.
- 6 precooked, frozen whole chicken wings
- 1/2 (3 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon regular vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- Either grill the chicken wings or cook them in the oven according to the package directions.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the orange juice, honey, soy sauce, vinegar and hoisin sauce to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Slowly stir the cornstarch into the orange juice mixture.
- Bring to a simmer, and allow to cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and pour over the completely cooked chicken wings.
Ham sandwich spirals recipe
These deli sandwich spirals are made with flour tortillas and filled with ham, cheese, cream cheese and pickles. They are a fun way to switch up a typical sandwich and get your kids excited about lunchtime.
- 1 avocado
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 2 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 (1 ounce) slices cooked ham
- Remove the skin and pit of the avocado. Using a fork, mash the avocado, and mix in some salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce, if desired.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the avocado mixture on 1 side of each tortilla. Then place 2 slices of ham on top, and sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top of the ham.
- Spread the remaining avocado mixture on top of the cheese.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly. Slice into large coins, and serve immediately.