A fennel ragu with chicken and plenty of fresh vegetables on top of a bed of whole-wheat rotini pasta. This recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes and is filled with good-for-you ingredients.
Chicken and fennel ragu
A chicken fennel dish that is packed with vegetables such as celery, sweet bell peppers, stewed tomatoes, mushrooms and more. This dish is a great and light meal that is also satisfying.
- 2 cups whole-wheat rotini pasta
- 1 very large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 tablespoons bulb of fennel, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) sliced stewed tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds (the leaf part)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the chicken breast by removing any fat and chopping into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare the vegetables: to prepare the fennel, cut off the green tops. Halve and then quarter the fennel and remove the core. Then cut the pieces lengthwise into long slices. Chop the slices into very small pieces.
- For the celery, remove the top and bottom parts and then chop into small pieces. Chop the mushrooms. Remove the top, ribs and seeds of the red pepper and then chop.
- Place the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped chicken and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add in the chopped fennel, onions and garlic. Stir for about 30 seconds and then add in the celery, mushrooms and peppers. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetable are tender — about 7-9 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and the whole can of stewed tomatoes.
- Lower the heat and allow to simmer while you adjust the seasonings — add more salt and pepper and add the fronds to taste.
- Remove from heat. Divide the pasta among 4 plates. Spoon the chicken and fennel mixture over the pasta.
- Optionally garnish with extra fronds and serve immediately.