Have you ever tried pancakes with rum and raisins and drowned in rum syrup? If you’re up for something different in the morning, then this is one recipe you have to try.
Trying different ingredients in pancakes is one of my favorite challenges when creating new recipes. Rum raisin is one of my favorite ice cream flavors, so I thought the combination of rum and raisins would work well with pancakes too.
Rum syrup poured onto pancakes boosts the distinctive taste of rum and works wonderfully with the taste of fresh, hot pancakes. If you are concerned about the alcohol content in the syrup, know that only 15 percent remains to give you the flavor; 85 percent of the alcohol evaporates with the heat. It will not make you tipsy, but if you have major concerns about alcohol, then this is a point to consider.
Rum raisin pancakes with rum syrup recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar plus 1/2 cup, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon softened butter plus more for the pan
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups rum, divided
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar, salt, 1 teaspoon of butter, the milk and the egg until smooth. Let the batter rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- In a small bowl, soak the raisins with 1/2 cup of rum mixed with water. After 10 minutes, drain the raisins, and discard the rum.
- Prepare the syrup. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, mix the remaining 1 cup of rum with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Let it cook until it becomes syrupy. Set aside. Note: The syrup can also be prepared a day before.
- When the pancake batter is ready, add the raisins.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt a knob of butter, and then ladle in a portion of the pancake batter. When one side is cooked, flip to cook the other side. Repeat until you use up all the pancake batter.
- Serve the pancakes with the rum syrup and mint, if using.
More pancake recipes
Banana pistachio pancakes with Marsala syrup recipe
Apple ring pancake recipe
Strawberry lemon pancake recipe
Leave a Comment