VIDEO: Spiked horchata recipe
This Mexican mainstay of sweetened milk, vanilla and cinnamon might be the perfect drink to pair with rum for your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
Spiked horchata recipe
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup rice or almond flour (bobsredmill.com)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark or light rum (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the whole milk and cinnamon stick to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl.
- Whisk in the condensed milk, flour and vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, and stir in the rum, if using.
- Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses.
- Garnish with ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks.