Don’t settle for a simple sandwich. Liven up lunch (or dinner) with a wrap that includes fab ingredients for a tasty meal.
You’ll have a great meal to wrap your hands around with this Meatless Monday recipe for quinoa, avocado and roasted red pepper hummus wraps. I like this recipe because it livens up lunch (or dinner) by using ingredients that stand apart from typical sandwich stuffings.
The hummus that’s the base of this wrap is colorful and savory. Not only that, but this recipe yields more than you’ll need for the wraps, so you can enjoy it as a dip for veggies or pita chips the next day.
The quinoa picks up some extra flavor by cooking in veggie broth instead of water, and the avocado brings a nice creaminess to the mix.
Quinoa, avocado and roasted red pepper hummus wraps recipe
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 large roasted red peppers (jarred)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 a large lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls lettuce leaves, divided
- 4 (8-inch) sandwich wraps or tortillas
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions, using vegetable broth instead of water.
- Allow the quinoa to reach room temperature after cooking it, and then gently toss in the avocado.
- Make the hummus as the quinoa cooks. Add the garbanzo beans, roasted red pepper, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini (if using), salt and black pepper to a food processor, and blend until smooth. If you think you need more liquid, drizzle in a bit more olive oil and lemon juice, and blend again. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Lay the sandwich wraps on a flat work surface. For each wrap, spread about a 1/4 cup of the hummus down the center of the wrap, from the top edge to the bottom. Add a bit of lettuce over the hummus, followed by about a 1/4 cup of the quinoa.
- Fold the right side of the wrap to just over the filling, and then continue to roll the wrap tightly.
- Slice the wrap in half with a serrated knife, and serve seam side down. If needed, insert a toothpick into each wrap half to help secure it.
Liven up your next Meatless Monday meal.