2. Skinny strawberry fluff salad recipe
This is my mom’s all-time favorite salad that she would make for us. She made it every single Sunday, sometimes changing out the strawberries for mandarin oranges and the strawberry Jell-O for orange Jell-O. When we were little, she would let us kids drain the pineapple and drink the leftover pineapple juice. We loved that! She would always let us help stir everything together — and sneak a few bites. Sometimes we would make this strawberry fluff salad and serve it over waffles or pancakes.
One of the reasons I have such a love for baking and creating dishes is the wonderful memories I have of cooking with my mom. This salad, although simple, holds great memories for me. My mom was never worried about food taking longer to prepare or if we made a mess as we tried to help. She wanted us to have fun and to love creating meals. She spent hours teaching me various tricks in the kitchen and ways to bake better.
Now that I live halfway across the country, I always think about my mom when I make this salad. It’s also become a tradition in my home to make waffles with this strawberry fluff salad for Saturday mornings. Whenever I make it, I think about the memories I have of making it with my mom and enjoying it with my family. Food brings people together, but it was my mom that instilled in me a passion and a love for cooking and good food. And whenever I think of good food and my mom’s favorite signature dish, it’s this salad that brings the greatest memories to me.
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 (8-ounce) container light frozen whipped topping, completely thawed
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package sugar-free strawberry Jell-O
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Drain the crushed pineapple well.
- Pour the dry Jell-O mix into the whipped topping, and mix until combined. Be careful not to over mix or to beat the whipped topping.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the strawberries and pineapple. Gently mix the whipped topping with the fruit.
- Store the fluff salad in the fridge, or serve it immediately.