Chia is a superfood that doesn’t taste like anything, making it the perfect ingredient to use for a creamy and healthy pudding.
I like to serve this gluten-free chia seed pudding with apricots and almonds as a breakfast dish, but you could easily serve it as dessert too. The apricots add pretty color and consistency to this recipe, and the syrup adds just the right touch of sweetness that satisfies.
Chia seeds are fun to use in all kinds of dishes, since they have no taste and plump when you add liquid to them. I used almond milk in this recipe since I had it on hand, but you can use your favorite milk.
A great source of fiber, antioxidants and protein, chia seeds are low in calories, filling and energizing. What a great ingredient to add to your recipe collection.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free chia seed pudding with apricots and almonds recipe
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk)
- 1/4 cup plain vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 10 dried apricots, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- Combine the chia seeds, milk, yogurt, 6 apricots (coarsely chopped) and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a container with a lid. Whisk together until combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour (or overnight).
- Prepare the syrup just before you’re ready to serve the pudding. To a saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining 4 apricots (chopped into halves), the water, sugar, ginger, lemon juice, salt and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Stir to help dissolve the sugar, cinnamon and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low until the mixture thickens, and then remove it from the heat.
- Scoop the pudding into individual bowls. Divide the syrup evenly among the portions, and drizzle it over the top along with the apricots.
- Sprinkle with the chopped almonds, and serve.
Scoop into this thick and tasty pudding.