Spring roll wrappers aren’t just for holding together savory ingredients. You can easily make a dessert you won’t forget using these paper-thin wrappers, fresh fruit and, of course, chocolate sauce.
This recipe for vegan strawberry, banana and almond spring rolls with chocolate sauce is perfect for the warm-weather months. It makes a pretty presentation and would be great as dessert served at the end of an Asian-inspired meal — or any meal, for that matter.
Aside from being easy to make, this recipe is swoon worthy because of the vibrant colors and flavors of the fruit. Choose your favorite fruit to use, or follow my suggestion. Pretty much any fruit goes well with chocolate sauce, right? You could use pineapple, mango or even cantaloupe. You could also switch up the nuts, or try using your favorite granola in place of the coconut. Whatever you do, don’t forget to serve the chocolate sauce with this treat.
Note: Vegan foods are made without any animal or animal-derived products. Carefully check the packaging labels of food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are vegan.
Vegan strawberry, banana and almond spring rolls with chocolate sauce recipe
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3-4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon melted vegetable shortening
- 4 large bananas, sliced in half, then cut into spears, divided
- 8 large strawberries, stems removed, sliced thin vertically, divided
- 5-6 kiwis, peeled and sliced into thin rounds, divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 4 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, finely chopped, divided
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- Make the chocolate sauce by adding the maple syrup, cocoa powder and melted vegetable shortening to a bowl and whisking until smooth. Set it aside.
- Slice the fruit, and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, place the coconut, and in another small bowl, place the almonds. Place both bowls near the fruit.
- Fill a shallow bowl larger than the wrappers with warm water. One at a time, place the wrappers in the bowl of water. Swish them around slightly until the wrappers soften.
- Place a softened wrapper on a clean, flat work surface. Add about 1 tablespoon of the coconut to the center of the wrapper, vertically. Sprinkle a few pieces of the mint over it, followed by 4 slices of strawberry, 3 to 4 kiwi slices and a few banana spears. Top with a sprinkling of the chopped almonds.
- Fold the top of the wrapper down over the ingredients, the bottom of the wrapper up to meet the top, and then tightly fold each side in toward the middle. The wrapper should be moist enough that it sticks together. Place it seam side down on a plate.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all the wrappers are used.
- Serve 2 spring rolls per person, with the chocolate sauce on the side to drizzle over the top.
Roll with it, and serve this spring roll dessert.