Entirely edible strawberry margarita Jell-O shots
Partying just got a whole lot more fun with these strawberry margarita Jell-O shots. No more licking the booze out of tiny plastic cups.
Let's face it, Cinco de Mayo is a great excuse to eat lots of delicious Mexican food and drink far too many margaritas. Who doesn't want to get behind that? This year, try these strawberry margarita Jell-O shooters for a fun twist on the margarita. They'd be fun for the kids too with a sugared rim instead of a salted one — and minus the booze, of course.
Strawberry margarita Jell-O shots recipe
Adapted from Bakers Royale
- 2 pints strawberries
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
- 4 ounces white tequila
- 2 ounces triple sec
- Sea salt for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Slice off the tops of the strawberries, and hull them using a spoon or melon baller.
- Slice a small amount off the bottoms of the strawberries so they can stand up. Do not slice so much that you create a hole from the hollowed-out center to the bottom; otherwise the Jell-O will seep through and not stay inside the strawberry to firm up.
- Combine the Jell-O contents with the boiling water, and stir until dissolved.
- Combine the cold water, lime juice, lime zest, tequila and triple sec, and stir together.
- Pour the cold water mixture into the Jell-O mixture, and stir.
- Arrange the strawberries in a baking dish, and carefully pour the Jell-O mixture into the center of each strawberry.
- Transfer the dish to the refrigerator to set, at least 5 hours.
- Remove the strawberries once set. Using your finger, wet the rim of each strawberry with water, and dip it in sea salt to line the edges.
- Serve with lime wedges.