Rice can be used in practically any dish, whether sweet or savory. This time, let’s take a different turn and use it as a base for the pizza instead of the usual pizza dough crust.
I piqued the interest of my family with the scent of pizza Margherita baking in the oven. The house smelled genuinely Italian when the aroma started to permeate everywhere. The kids were curious and excited at the same time, because there was a pizza cooking in the oven, but they were quite sure they hadn’t seen me kneading any dough in the kitchen. I told them that the pizza base was made of rice, and they gave me big, questioning eyes. It had been an eye-opener for them.
It is possible to make pizza with a rice crust, and it actually tastes great. My advice: Make sure your tomato sauce is flavorful and tasty.
Margherita pizza with rice crust recipe
Yields one 12-inch pizza
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice or similar
- 3 cups water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups strained tomatoes, tomato puree or passata
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces mozzarella, coarsely chopped
- Fresh basil leaves
- In a saucepan on high heat, cook the rice with the water and a dash of salt. When it boils, cover the pan partially (leave about an inch of an opening), and turn down the heat to the lowest. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the water has been completely absorbed by the rice.
- When the rice is cooked, transfer it to a bowl. Mix in the egg and the Parmesan.
- In an oiled pizza pan, pour the rice mixture, and press to pack it down well. Set aside.
- In a saucepan with olive oil over medium heat, sauté the onions. After 1 minute, add the strained tomatoes. Cover partially, and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- Pour the tomato sauce onto the rice, and distribute it well with the back of a spoon.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven, preheated to 395 degrees F, on the middle rack for 12 minutes.
- Take the pizza out quickly, and distribute the mozzarella on top. Bake again for another 3 minutes or until the mozzarella has completely melted.
- When the pizza is cooked, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with the basil leaves. Serve immediately while hot.