This savory lo mein dish will make you eager to stay in for dinner. The vibrant colors and fresh veggies keep things filling and tasty.
Instead of having takeout on a Meatless Monday, settle in for a delightful noodle dish. This recipe for tofu and bok choy lo mein is filling and flavorful. You’ll also appreciate a burst of color from the fresh veggies. From green to red and even to orange, this dish will appeal to your senses.
I added tofu to this recipe for extra protein. It picks up the flavors from the savory sauce and sticks with you through every bite. I used carrot ribbons as a colorful garnish, but they’re almost like one of the main ingredients. Twirl and enjoy on a night in.
Tofu and bok choy lo mein recipe
- 1 (12.3 ounce) firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to season the tofu
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles (you can also use spaghetti or linguine)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1 head bok choy, stem trimmed, stalk and leaves cut in strips
- 2 small carrots, ends trimmed, peeled into thin ribbons to use as garnish, divided
- Drain the tofu, and then wrap it in several sheets of paper towel. Place the wrapped block of tofu on a dish with something heavy over it (a small, heavy pan, for example). Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes to help drain out the excess moisture.
- Remove the tofu, and pat it with a dry paper towel. Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes, and season 2 sides with salt and ground black pepper.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the tofu, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Flip and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place a sheet of paper towel on a dish. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the tofu from the pan and onto the dish.
- To a medium bowl, add the vegetable broth, soy sauce, hot sauce, sesame oil, ginger, sugar, salt, red pepper, black pepper and cornstarch. Whisk until combined, and then set aside.
- Cook the lo mein or pasta noodles according to the package directions, and then set them aside.
- Add the green onion, garlic, red bell pepper and bok choy to the same pan used to cook the tofu over medium heat. Cook, stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the pan, and bring it to a boil. Add the lo mein noodles to the mixture, and toss to combine. Reduce the heat. Add the tofu to the pan, and gently mix together. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm in individual bowls, and garnish with the carrot ribbons.
Give takeout a rest, and whip up this Meatless Monday meal.