Meatless Monday: Tofu and bok choy lo mein
This savory lo mein dish will make you eager to stay in for dinner. The vibrant colors and fresh veggies keep things filling and tasty.
Instead of having takeout on a Meatless Monday, settle in for a delightful noodle dish. This recipe for tofu and bok choy lo mein is filling and flavorful. You'll also appreciate a burst of color from the fresh veggies. From green to red and even to orange, this dish will appeal to your senses.
I added tofu to this recipe for extra protein. It picks up the flavors from the savory sauce and sticks with you through every bite. I used carrot ribbons as a colorful garnish, but they're almost like one of the main ingredients. Twirl and enjoy on a night in.
Tofu and bok choy lo mein recipe
- 1 (12.3 ounce) firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to season the tofu
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles (you can also use spaghetti or linguine)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1 head bok choy, stem trimmed, stalk and leaves cut in strips
- 2 small carrots, ends trimmed, peeled into thin ribbons to use as garnish, divided
- Drain the tofu, and then wrap it in several sheets of paper towel. Place the wrapped block of tofu on a dish with something heavy over it (a small, heavy pan, for example). Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes to help drain out the excess moisture.
- Remove the tofu, and pat it with a dry paper towel. Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes, and season 2 sides with salt and ground black pepper.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the tofu, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Flip and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place a sheet of paper towel on a dish. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the tofu from the pan and onto the dish.
- To a medium bowl, add the vegetable broth, soy sauce, hot sauce, sesame oil, ginger, sugar, salt, red pepper, black pepper and cornstarch. Whisk until combined, and then set aside.
- Cook the lo mein or pasta noodles according to the package directions, and then set them aside.
- Add the green onion, garlic, red bell pepper and bok choy to the same pan used to cook the tofu over medium heat. Cook, stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the pan, and bring it to a boil. Add the lo mein noodles to the mixture, and toss to combine. Reduce the heat. Add the tofu to the pan, and gently mix together. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm in individual bowls, and garnish with the carrot ribbons.
Give takeout a rest, and whip up this Meatless Monday meal.