This spaghetti dish gets a little spicy in a skillet. Add chicken to the mix, and you’ve got a zesty, easy-to-make meal for the family.
A slight change can mean major flavor factor when it comes to spaghetti. This Sunday dinner recipe for spicy skillet chicken spaghetti owes its zestiness to Sriracha sauce and its simple prep to your average cookware.
Not only is this dish tasty and easy to make, but you’ll spend less time on cleanup since everything is cooked in one pan. If you like your sauce with some sass, add more Sriracha. Not that adventurous? Go a little lighter. Either way, this spaghetti dish gets some added heat.
Spicy skillet chicken spaghetti recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into 2-inch strips
- 2-1/2 cups water (reserve 1/2 cup water to add as needed)
- 3/4 pound uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
- 20 ounces pasta sauce
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce) or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, and cook for about 4 minutes while stirring.
- Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the skillet, and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the water into the skillet, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the spaghetti. If you think you need more water to cover the spaghetti, add the reserved 1/2 cup.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high, cover the skillet, and cook the spaghetti for the amount of time indicated on the package directions. The spaghetti might cook a bit faster, so check it as it cooks as well as stir it.
- Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, add the pasta sauce, Sriracha sauce, oregano, rosemary, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine, and cook until warmed through.
- Turn off the heat, add the mozzarella cheese to the skillet, and mix it with the other ingredients.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and serve warm.
Add some spice to this dish for added tastiness.