Vegan ratatouille with tempeh
You'll feel très fab whipping up this take on a traditional French dish. Fresh veggies and tempeh are the stars in this meal.
This vegan ratatouille with tempeh is a quick and easy dish that makes a filling meal. The tempeh and fresh veggies stand out in this recipe and help add to its heartiness. If you're like me, you'll want to serve crunchy bread on the side to help sop up the flavorful juices.
Ratatouille is a traditional French dish that includes a nice bunch of fresh vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion and tomatoes. The ingredients are mixed together with herbs and seasonings and then stewed to create a flavorful meal. This colorful dish would be great as an appetizer, but it makes a nice, light meal too. Who knew French cooking could be so easy?
Vegan ratatouille with tempeh recipe
Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 (14 ounce) package tempeh, sliced thin
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, torn
- To a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When hot, add the tempeh slices, and cook, turning once, until golden.
- Remove the tempeh from the skillet, and set it aside. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, and place over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onion, and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, and mix. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable broth to the skillet, and bring it to a boil. Add the eggplant, zucchini and green pepper. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and their liquid to the skillet, mix, and simmer for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, remove the bay leaf, add the lemon juice, and stir to combine. Add the tempeh slices to the skillet, and toss to coat them.
- Garnish with the fresh parsley, and serve.
This French-style vegan dish is fab.