Fruit-and-cheese-filled gluten-free scones
Serve these fruit-and-cheese-filled scones for a special treat. Round rather than triangular, these soft scones are similar to muffins or biscuits.
Some scones can be savory, some are crumbly, and some can be triangular. There are no corners on these soft and fluffy gluten-free scones. They're stuffed with fresh pear, dried cherries and bits of creamy Brie cheese, perfect alongside coffee, tea or your favorite beverage.
The soft batter this recipe produces is a little different from other scone recipes. You'll turn out fluffy, biscuit-like rounds with a touch of sweetness due to the fruit added to these treats. The soft Brie brings a nice touch too. Looking for a little crunch? Add chopped nuts to the mix if you like (I'd add about 1/4 cup of chopped almonds).
Gluten-free pear, cherry and Brie scones recipe
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup milk, plus a bit extra if needed
- 1/2 cup fresh pear (about 1 medium pear), peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 3 ounces Brie cheese, cut into small pieces (about a 1/2 teaspoon in size)
- Parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and set them aside.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour, and use a pastry cutter or 2 forks to combine the two. The mixture should look crumbly with small pieces of the butter throughout.
- Pour the milk into the flour mixture, and stir to combine. If you think the dough is too stiff, then add a bit more milk, just a little at a time. Carefully fold in the pear, dried cherries and Brie.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a large spoon to scoop out a portion of the dough, about 4 inches in diameter, and place it on the baking sheet.
- Gently flatten the portion just slightly, placing each scone about 2 inches apart from one another.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the scones begin to turn golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Snack on these soft scones.