Southerners got it right. What could be more comforting than chicken and waffles? This cornbread and shredded chicken version is the ultimate Southern comfort breakfast.
If it were up to me, waffles would be their own category of food. I gladly embrace any excuse to eat them, morning, afternoon or night. This spin on two Southern classics — cornbread and chicken and waffles — is just that.
Cornbread waffles are a fun, savory spin to the typical breakfast food, and this chicken apple slaw is a much healthier version of the classic fried chicken that would normally accompany a waffle in the South. Comfort food redefined.
Cornbread waffles with shredded chicken apple slaw recipe
For the waffles
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup gluten-free baking flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple, grated
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onions for garnish
For the waffles
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until just combined.
- Set the mixture aside, and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Pour half the batter into the waffle iron, and cook until desired crispiness.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients, and toss them together until everything is fully coated with the yogurt.
- Top the cooked waffles with the chicken apple slaw mixture, and garnish with green onions.