Celebrate the arrival of spring with these fluffy, sweet and bright pancakes topped with a slightly sweet, tangy strawberry-lemon curd.
One of my favorite things about spring is that the strawberries actually start tasting like berries again, as opposed to the watery, flavorless imposters we get all winter long. My breakfast isn’t complete without some sort of fruit on my plate, and this one definitely doesn’t disappoint — strawberries are hidden inside the pancakes and in the homemade strawberry-lemon curd topping. If you thought curd was one of those impossible things to make at home, then think again, because it really couldn’t be easier. In just about 20 minutes you can have your own sweet and tangy homemade curd. The flavor possibilities are endless, but this breakfast is doubling up on the delicious, spring-ly strawberry-and-lemon combination.
Strawberry lemon pancakes recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (or oil of choice)
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Strawberry-lemon curd (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients except the strawberries.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix until combined.
- Fold in the diced strawberries until combined.
- Heat a skillet or pancake griddle over medium heat, and grease it with butter, oil or baking spray.
- Once hot, pour the pancake batter onto the pan, fitting as many pancakes as possible. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, depending on how big your pancakes are.
- Top the pancakes with the curd, and serve them warm.
Homemade strawberry-lemon curd recipe
Yields 3/4 cup
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Zest of 1-1/2 lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 large egg yolks
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, sugar and lemon zest, and beat with an electric mixer until incorporated.
- In a food processor, combine the lemon juice and strawberries, and process until smooth.
- Add the lemon-strawberry mixture to the bowl, and beat again until combined.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, and beat until the mixture is fully combined.
- Transfer to a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir constantly for about 12 to 15 minutes, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Pour into a jar, and let it reach room temperature before sealing and refrigerating it.
- Curd will keep for about 2 weeks.