We’ll be the first to admit mornings kinda suck. They’re hectic, everybody’s grumpy, and there’s usually not enough time to dish up a nutritious, yummy breakfast — especially when you don’t eat eggs or meat. But, y’all, we’ve got a vegan French toast casserole that is going to revolutionize your morning. We know what you’re thinking: “I barely have time to pour a bowl of Cheerios! How the heck will I be able to pull off French toast?” Well, when you soak it overnight in your favorite plant-based milk, some spices and maple syrup, popping it in the oven when you wake up is a snap.
You can top this off with just about anything you desire, from fresh fruits and nuts to homemade vegan whipped cream. Um, yum.
Vegan overnight French toast bake recipe
- 1/3 cup almond flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups coconut, cashew or almond milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup pure maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 loaf fresh French or challah bread, sliced
- Fresh fruit or nuts for topping
- Spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and layer the slices of bread.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and mix very well. Pour the mixture over the top of the sliced bread. Make sure each piece is nicely coated so that it can absorb the flavors.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap, and chill it for several hours or ideally overnight.
- To prepare the French toast, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, and bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until the center is hot and the top is golden brown.
- Serve with fresh fruit, dairy-free whipped cream and extra maple syrup, if desired.
Tip: If you are a strict vegan, then make sure you double-check the ingredients label on the bread you are using. Some bread companies incorporate eggs and dairy into baked goods.