A brunch menu fit for a caveman
Even though I live a fairly healthy lifestyle, the paleo diet never really enticed me. I mean, who wants to give up cheese, pasta and cookies? But as much as I love a big block of cheddah, I also love a challenge, so I turned one of my favorite carb-and-butter-laden meals — brunch — into one fit for a paleo princess.
And guess what, friends — I totally crushed it. I'll admit it was harder than I thought, but I was incredibly surprised by how delicious each thing came out. I didn't miss the cheese, the processed flour or the syrup. In fact, I almost liked these dishes more than their non-paleo counterparts. And if these can change me, imagine what they can do for you.
Vegetable omelet casserole recipe
Recipe adapted from Multiply Delicious
- 3/4 pound bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 large eggs
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and butternut squash. Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes or until softened.
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl, and mix in the bacon and spinach. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and basil.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the prepared baking dish. Pour the eggs over the vegetables, and bake for about 25 minutes or until set.
Flaxseed, banana, cashew butter and spinach smoothie recipe
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup fresh mango, chopped
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place the coconut milk, spinach, mango, banana, flaxseeds, cashew butter and coconut in a blender. Blend until thick, pureed and smooth.
- Add the coconut and chopped cashews to the top of the smoothie if desired.
Paleo steak salad with wasabi peas and Parmesan cheese recipe
- 12 cups fresh spinach
- 2 pounds buffalo sirloin steaks
- 1 cup wasabi peas
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Grease a large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Liberally coat the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks on the cookie sheet, and broil for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until medium rare. Let the steaks rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, mustard, balsamic vinegar, diced onion, salt and pepper.
- Separate the spinach into 4 bowls. Top with sliced tomato, peppers and sliced steak. Top with wasabi peas for garnish, and dress with mustard dressing. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and serve.
Butternut squash and cinnamon pancakes recipe
Recipe inspired by Jan's Sushi Bar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grass-fed butter
- Dash of salt
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the squash in a blender, and blend until smooth and pureed. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, squash puree, honey and vanilla. Add the almond meal, cinnamon, baking soda and a dash of salt to the egg mixture.
- Pour the batter, 1/4 cup at a time, onto the hot skillet. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Cover and keep warm. Top with butter.