Meatless Monday: Wild mushroom, thyme and Brie omelet
Who says omelets are only for breakfast? Enjoy this classic (and filling) egg dish for any meal you'd like.
Omelets aren't just for your morning meal. This Meatless Monday recipe for wild mushroom, thyme and Brie omelets makes that point clearly. Mushrooms pair well with herbs — specifically thyme — and I love adding Brie cheese to this dish. It ends up melting into a creamy puddle of deliciousness.
The wild mushrooms in this egg dish add to its heartiness. Serve this omelet with a bowl of fresh fruit or a green salad, and you've got a lovely meal, morning, noon or night.
Wild mushroom, thyme and Brie omelet recipe
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces wild mushroom mix, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 3-4 ounces Brie cheese, sliced thin
- Add the chopped thyme, salt and black pepper to the beaten eggs, and mix.
- To a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When melted, pour the eggs into the pan.
- When the eggs begin to set a little, run a rubber spatula all the way around the sides of the omelet. Tilt the pan a bit so any liquid, uncooked egg will move to the bottom to cook.
- Before the eggs set completely (they should still be moist), add the cheese over one half of the egg, followed by the mushrooms.
- Use the rubber spatula to lift the egg without the cheese or mushrooms, and carefully fold it over the other half to form a semicircle. Let the omelet cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Use the rubber spatula to carefully slide the omelet off the pan and onto a plate.
- Serve warm.
This omelet isn't only for breakfast.