Indulgently cheesy blue crab gratin
Everyone loves a good potato or cauliflower gratin. This time let's take it up a notch by using blue crab chunks. Your dinner party guests will be so impressed.
I adore a good gratin recipe — it's comfort food at its finest. A couple of weeks ago I went on a ski trip, and ever since I've gotten home, I keep thinking about a crab gratin dish I ate. There were no potatoes involved. Just cheese, crab, leeks and sun-dried tomatoes. This will definitely be my new go-to gratin dish for dinner.
Cheesy blue crab, sun-dried tomato and leek gratin recipe
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1-1/2 cups crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine the tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and the parsley.
- In a saute pan, add the butter, and whisk in the flour. Slowly add in the half-and-half and milk to the roux. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the paprika, salt and pepper to the sauce.
- Stir in the mild cheddar, sun-dried tomato mixture, leeks and crabmeat.
- Place in a 10 x 7-inch baking dish. Top with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and the panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.