Sunday dinner: Hearty Cuban sandwiches
Give your family something to sink their teeth into for Sunday dinner. Hearty sandwiches are always a good idea, especially when they're this flavorful.
These hearty Sunday dinner Cuban sandwiches are a take on those popularized in Cuban communities in Florida. The sandwiches are amazingly delicious, simple in their execution and beloved by many. When you try them, you'll know why.
I marinated thick, boneless pork chops, roasted them and then sliced them thin for these sandwiches. A great option: Think of this recipe when you have leftovers from a pork roast.
Once assembled, you can press these sandwiches for a few minutes using a panini press, or simply add the sandwiches to a buttered, hot skillet, and press another skillet on top of them.
Hearty Cuban sandwich recipe
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound boneless pork chops
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 4 hoagie-style buns
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 4 large dill pickles, sliced thin, lengthwise
- 1/2 pound deli ham, sliced medium
- 1/4 pound Swiss cheese, sliced
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Into a large, sealable plastic bag, add the lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Add the pork chops to the bag, seal it closed, and lightly massage the mixture onto the pork. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pork chops from the marinade (discard it), and set them aside. Add the vegetable oil to an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the pork chops, and cook for about 3 minutes until golden.
- Flip over the pork chops, and place the skillet into the oven. Cook for about 15 minutes or until done. According to the USDA, a safe internal temperature for pork chops is 145 degrees F, as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Remove the pork chops from the oven, and allow them to sit for about 5 minutes.
- To assemble your sandwiches, slice the bread to about 8 inches in length, and then slice it in half horizontally.
- For each sandwich, add about 1 tablespoon of mustard to the bottom half of the bread. Divided evenly among the sandwiches, add the pickle, followed by the cheese, the ham and finally the roasted pork slices. Top with the remaining bread.
- If you're using a panini press, then lightly spray both sides with nonstick cooking spray. Press the sandwiches over medium-high heat for a few minutes until warmed through.
- If you're not using a panini press, then add a bit of butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches to the skillet so they fit, then place another heavy skillet on top of them and press down on them slightly. Cook for a few minutes until warmed through.
- Slice the sandwiches diagonally, and serve warm.
You'll enjoy these popular, hearty sandwiches.