Hatching chick deviled eggs recipe
- 6 boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 12 black peppercorns
- Lay an egg on its side, and cut a small slice off the bottom (flatter) end. This is the base of the chick. Then cut about 1/2 – 3/4 inch off the top (pointy) end. This end piece is going to be the top of your chick.
- Scoop all the yolks out of the eggs (don’t forget the tops, too), and mix them with the mayonnaise, mustard and salt. Put this filling into a plastic bag with a corner end snipped off, and pipe it into your eggs. Make sure the filling is about an inch taller than the top of the egg white so you will have plenty of room to make a face.
- Place a top slice of egg white on each chick.
- Use a knife to slice your julienned carrot into pieces 1/2 inch long. Place 2 peppercorns and a piece of carrot into the yolk of each egg to make the face. You may find it easier to use tweezers for these tiny pieces.
- Arrange the eggs on your serving tray, then add feet by slipping the remaining slices of carrot under their bodies. Again, tweezers can help with this step. Place 3 pieces together on each side to make the feet.
- Serve cold. Best served within 2 hours.