Thai shrimp salad with spring vegetables
Spring vegetables and rice noodles are the perfect base for shrimp, drizzled in a bright and tangy dressing of lime juice, fresh herbs and fish sauce.
I find that spring is when I crave Asian salads. While summer vegetables seem so far away, winter citrus is often still going strong, and the young tender vegetables of spring, like radishes, peas, and greens, pair so well with the baby shoots of fresh herbs. This salad marries all those flavors with crunchy, cheerful, spring in a bowl.
Thai shrimp salad with spring vegetables recipe
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cooked rice vermicelli noodles (cook according to package directions)
- 2 cups (loosely packed) spring greens
- 3 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 12 sugar peas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint
- Heat the teaspoon of oil in a large skillet on high. Once the oil is hot, add shrimp and sear for about a minute on each side, until opaque and pink. Remove shrimp to a plate to avoid overcooking.
- Divide noodles, greens, radishes and peas between 2 bowls.
- Put dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and give them a couple whirs to slightly chop the herbs.
- Pour the dressing over the salads and top with 4 shrimp on each salad.