Stacked, loaded with cheese and dripping with avocado hollandaise sauce, this breakfast creation is a winner.
The art of the bacon, egg and cheese is nothing to scoff at. Not enough egg, and you’re hungry in an hour. Not enough cheese, and too much egg taste comes through. Bacon has to be drained; otherwise the grease just drips into your lap as you eat it. And my personal pet peeve: a roll too big, and it just feels like a carb fest with hardly any filling. These quesadilla stacks take care of all that, though. A crispy, thin bread layer filled with the perfect cheese, egg and bacon combination, and to top it off, a deliciously creamy avocado hollandaise sauce. You’re not going to find that at any deli or drive-through.
Bacon, egg and cheese quesadilla stacks with avocado hollandaise sauce recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 slices cheese (Swiss, American or cheddar)
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- Juice of 1/2 a small lemon
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon to a paper towel to drain, and wipe most of the grease out of the pan with a paper towel, leaving just a little behind to cook the eggs.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
- Add the eggs to the pan, and scramble them with a spatula until cooked through. Transfer the eggs to a plate, and set it aside.
- Lay one tortilla in the pan, and place a slice of cheese on one side of the tortilla. Place half the scrambled eggs and bacon on top of the cheese, and top with another slice of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half, and press down on it with a spatula, cooking each side for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese starts to melt and the tortilla browns and crisps on the edges. Repeat with the other tortilla and the remaining ingredients.
- Cut into wedges.
- To make the avocado hollandaise sauce, combine the avocado, lemon juice and water in a blender. Blend until smooth (about 1 to 2 minutes). Drizzle in the olive oil, and continue blending for another 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon some avocado hollandaise on top of the quesadilla wedges, and then serve.