Want to impress your dinner guests? Serve this pretty, delicious dessert that’s easier to make than you think.
It never fails. When I bring out desserts made in separate jars or glasses from the fridge, my dinner guests’ eyes get real big and light up. It’s such a great way to impress your friends and family. And it couldn’t be easier. I think the hardest part of making a dessert in a glass is finding the right size canning jars or shot glasses in the store. Otherwise it’s a piece of cake.
Just gather up the ingredients, layer them in the glass or jar, stick them in the fridge and you’re done. Oh, I forgot to mention that after all of the ingredients are added to the serving glasses, the chef will need to lick the spoon that was used for the lemon curd. It’s required.
Tangy lemon and shortbread dessert in a glass recipe
Makes about 8 (depending on the size of the jar or shot glass used)
For the lemon curd
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 14 Lorna Doone shortbread cookies (or your favorite shortbread cookies)
- Lemon curd
- 2 cups Cool Whip whipped topping
- Zest from 1 lemon (for garnish)
For the lemon curd
- Zest and juice each lemon. Set aside for a moment.
- In a small bowl, add the eggs and, if possible, remove the small white part by the yolk. Beat the eggs and set aside for a moment.
- On low to medium heat, warm the water in a medium double boiler pan.
- When the water is hot or boiling, add the butter to the top pan.
- When the butter is melted, add the lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar. Stir together.
- While continuously whisking the ingredients, slowly add the egg just a little at a time.
- Once all of the egg is in the pan continue to whisk all ingredients together until the egg is fully cooked and the consistency turns creamy and slightly thickens.
- Pour the hot lemon curd in a jar or medium glass bowl.
- Cool completely and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the desserts.
- In a food processor, add the cookies and pulse until they turn to crumbs.
- Add the cookie crumbs as the first layer in the bottom of the glass jars or shot glasses.
- Add the lemon curd as the second layer.
- Top with Cool Whip and garnish with lemon zest.
- Serve chilled.