Outrageously delicious sausage and cheese stuffed pretzel puffs
A mouthwatering stuffed pretzel that will change the way you look at sandwiches from now on.
Growing up, I always had a serious weakness for bread. Warm homemade bread slathered with butter gets me every single time. Pretzels always will hold a special place in my heart or should I say stomach. A nice soft center with a slightly tougher outside and do not get me started about a cheesy dip to go with it. This recipe satisfies my craving for pretzels, cheese and my lunch. Not to mention a quick leftover meal for the next day.
Sausage and cheese stuffed pretzel puffs recipe
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh chopped spinach
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a mixing bowl, add water, sugar and yeast. Lightly stir the mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Attach dough hook and slowly add flour and salt. Mix until dough is coming off the bowl edges and it forms a ball shape.
- Remove the dough and place in a large bowl. Cover and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add pork sausage to a large sauté pan. Cook until brown.
- Add garlic and spinach to the pan and cook for an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove sauté pan from heat and set aside.
- Pinch off about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dough and flatten it out into a circular shape.
- Add 1/4 cup of the meat mixture and 1/4 cup cheese and then fold all the edges in creating a sealed pouch.
- Repeat until all dough has been used.
- Bring a large pot of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Drop in 2 pouches at a time, allowing them to cook for 30 seconds. Remove and place on nonstick baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with melted butter and place in the oven.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.