Sometimes, I just need a doughnut. I can’t explain why, but when the craving hits, I have to have one. And this is especially true of powdered jelly doughnuts from Dunkin’. I just cannot resist the slightly crispy, fluffy dough and sweet jam filling.
The best thing about these sweets is that you can make them at home, no car or wallet required. If you’ve never made a yeast doughnut, just wait for your life to change. You may never go back to regular cake doughnuts.
Copycat Dunkin’ Donuts jelly doughnuts recipe
Yields about 12
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk, warmed to 110 degrees F
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 large brown eggs, room temperature
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- About 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup jelly
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the milk, yeast, sugar and eggs. Mix until just combined. Switch to a dough hook. Gradually add the flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, ending at 3 cups, beating well after each addition. Mix in the cinnamon. Add the oil, applesauce and a dash of salt and beat until combined. Add in the remaining flour and beat to combine.
- Turn the dough onto a hard floured surface and knead until soft and elastic. Place the dough ball in a greased bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Using a doughnut or circle cookie cutter, stamp out dough circles (you want 12). Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Place about 3 doughnuts into the hot oil and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Use a slotted spoon to remove the doughnuts and place on a paper towel-lined dinner plate. Let cool slightly.
- Roll in the powdered sugar. To fill with jelly, spoon the jam into a pastry filling bag and pipe into the doughnuts. Serve warm.
More doughnut recipes
Homemade fried pumpkin doughnut holes
4 Gluten-free mini doughnut recipes
Homemade baked cronuts
Leave a Comment