Authentic Chinese soup straight from your own kitchen
You don't need to order takeout or buy instant when you want to have a warm bowl of Chinese soup. You can make it straight from your own kitchen without much effort. The best part is, you're using healthy ingredients.
I loved having Chinese-style corn soup when I was young but it always came straight from instant packs that were sold in the supermarkets. I was not in the habit of reading the ingredients so I was not really aware of how many additives I was eating. When I became a mother, I learned to read the ingredients of what I was feeding my kids. They love all kinds of instant Asian soup, and, since I refuse to give them the ones full of additives, I learned to create them myself. This soup is very easy to make using all-natural and healthy ingredients. You and your whole family will definitely enjoy it.
Cantonese corn soup recipe
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other oil)
- 5 ounces white meat chicken, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated or finely chopped ginger
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/8 cup finely sliced leeks, plus more for garnish
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives, for garnish
- Over low heat, in a small saucepan, toast the sesame seeds for 2 minutes or until they start making popping sounds. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with a little bit of the chicken broth. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan that can accommodate the soup, sauté the chicken with olive oil until it is cooked through.
- Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and the corn, then let it boil. When it boils, add the cornstarch paste. Let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the leeks and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour the egg slowly into the soup while gently stirring.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with additional leeks, chives and toasted sesame seeds. Drizzle with the sesame oil.
- Serve hot.